It has always been the Armed Forces’ aspiration to set up an Royal Malaysian Armed Forces Museum since the early 1950s. However, the collection of artifacts for the museum only began in 1961 at the encouragement of General Tunku Osman Tunku Mohd Jewa.
From that moment on, efforts were made by the Armed Forces to make the project a success. For starters, the old “Wade Wing” barracks was converted into the first building for the museum.
In 1976, the museum moved to the Maktab Tentera DiRaja (Royal Military College) in Sungai Besi to make way for a new Defence Ministry department. Later, the museum was moved again to a new location in the Ministry premises in the year 1981 and once more in 1985. The Royal Malaysian Armed Forces Museum Kuala Lumpur was established and governed by a civilian and one committee member from each military department in the ministry.
It now houses an interesting collection of artifacts from World War II, the Communist Insurgency and Indonesian Confrontation. The museum consists of an external gallery and five galleries inside the building, which display the army history according to the specific eras.
How to Get to The Army’s Museum
The army’s museum is located behind the Defence Ministry building.
Muzium Angkatan Tentera Malaysia Kuala Lumpur
Jalan Padang Tembak, Ministry of Defense
Jalan Padang Tembak, Kuala Lumpur
Tel: (+603) 2692 1333
Weekends & Public Holidays 10am-4pm
Fridays, Hari Raya Puasa and Hari Raya Haji Closed